Christmas greetings

Linlithgow Loch

It’s time for me to wish all my readers on The Hazel Tree a merry Christmas and a very happy and peaceful New Year. Thank you for all your comments, likes and shares over the last 12 months, and I’m looking forward to your company once more in 2018.

This year has been an amazing one, for several reasons. Firstly, I’ve had a book published – ‘The Great Horizon – 50 Tales of Exploration’ (Sandstone Press). Working with the Royal Scottish Geographical Society has been, and continues to be, the most heartwarming experience. Thank you to everyone who has given me encouragement on this incredible project! In support of the book, I’ve embarked on a round of lectures with the RSGS. The first ones were last week, in Kirkcaldy, Edinburgh and Glasgow, and in February I’ll be speaking in Inverness, Perth and Stirling.

In January, Colin and I (and Purdey) will be on the move! Our new home is the most beautiful little cottage in Argyll. It’s a stone’s throw from the sea, with views across the Firth of Lorn towards the Isle of Mull, and the ancient sites of Kilmartin Glen practically on the doorstep. You can imagine how exciting this is for us – fresh inspiration for us both, in a place where we’ve always wanted to live. There will no doubt be plenty of new content on The Hazel Tree, once we’ve unpacked all the boxes! Purdey is looking forward to finding herself a comfy place by the fire. I think we all are!

In the meantime, at the midwinter solstice, I’d like to wish you peace and contentment. As the days start to lengthen again, let’s all welcome the return of the light!

Trees near Achnabreck, Kilmartin Glen

1. Merry Christmas – thanks for all the inspiring articles and photographs and good luck with your move!

2. Christmas Greeting to you and Thank You for a stimulating and vey varied blog…one I always look forward to reading. They have extended my knowledge, refreshed some memories and introduced me to some topics I would not have otherwise explored. But I wish you hadn’t told us about your move to my favourite spot in fabulous Argyll….very, very envious 🙂 Good luck with the move and best wishes for you both in your new home. I also predict that despite your knowledge of the area you will come up with new discoveries with which to reveal to your followers. “Lang may your Lum Reek”

• Thank you, David! It’s a pleasure to share these places and your comments are always very welcome. Thanks so much for your good wishes! I look forward to updating you before too long. Meanwhile Lang May Your Own Lum Reek! 🙂

3. Solstice greetings to you, Jo…and good luck with the move 🙂

4. Dear Jo,

I am beaming over your accomplishment and have purchased it for Terry for Christmas (though I am sure it will not arrive on time considering the distance and date). Can’t wait to read it also. Picked up a treasure for myself (101 men in Kilts) 🙂 or perhaps as a birthday treat for my 85 year sweet mother-in-law to bring back memories of younger days. May your new year be filled with mischievous merriment and adventurous exploration. May we meet again! Our greetings and love, Jeane, and Terry

• That’s lovely, Jeane, thank you for buying a copy! I hope you’ll both enjoy it. 101 men in kilts??!! Sounds exhausting!! 😀 Lovely to hear from you and I do hope we meet again. Meanwhile enjoy the festive season and have a very happy New Year.

5. Theresa Frank-Schengili says:

I wish you and your family the very best for your move and am looking forward to your next year’s harvest.
    Big hugs from the Bavarian Forest

• Thank you very much, Theresa! If that was a graphic you sent, I don’t think WordPress can cope with it, but big hugs back to you in the Bavarian Forest – sounds very Christmassy and pine-scented! Jo

6. Theresa Frank-Schengili says:

a:hover { color: red; } a { text-decoration: none; color: #0088cc; } a.primaryactionlink:link, a.primaryactionlink:visited { background-color: #2585B2; color: #fff; } a.primaryactionlink:hover, a.primaryactionlink:active { background-color: #11729E !important; color: #fff !important; }

/* @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) { .post { min-width: 700px !important; } } */

I wanted to send you a little impression from here but wasn't able to do so while commenting your post. Cheers Theresa

7. I think every holiday this time of year speaks of hope. Certainly the lengthening of days has influenced most of them. Hope all your celebrations are joyful! And that house sounds like it will make a wonderful home. 🙂

• Thank you, Pat! We think so. I am glad that today is the shortest day and they can only get longer from now on. The new moon last night was full of hope and promise too.

8. Susan Abernethy says:

Happy Holidays to you, Colin and Purdey. Wishing you the best in your move. Your new home sounds amazing.

9. Have a happy holiday season, and good luck with your “dream” move!

10. Lovely photos, and very exciting news. I’m looking forward to your west coast adventures in 2018. Have a lovely Christmas and New Year. I’m counting down the days until I can unwrap your book….only four more sleeps to go!

11. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Jo! Thanks for all the interesting articles on your blog. I’m always looking foward to reading your new blog entries!
    Good luck with your move to Argyll!

12. Edith Douglas says:

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you. I am so glad I found the Hazel Tree last year–always thoughtful, elegant and interesting. Looking forward to what comes next year, beautiful photos especially!

13. Merry Christmas and may you have a wonderful New Year!

14. Merry Christmas and best wishes as you move into your new home. What a wonderful way to be starting the new year!

15. Ila McDougald says:

Thank you, more than you can know, for posting all that you do

16. nice to know a bit more about you – congratulations on your book ans good luck with your lectures and your move, Sounds a lovely cottage. I had a forced move this year – from a landslip that took all my garden – if you’re interested see
    it wasn’t an easy move, but I too moved to a cottage and am glad the disaster made me go, even tho I’m still waiting for building work to be done! Hope you have an easier time, but there are always some glitches – smile

Anyway, Happy Xmas and Have a wonderful NEE YEAR!

• Oh my goodness! How awful for you, and for your neighbours as well. I hope you are happily settled and comfortable now in your new cottage. Thanks for your good wishes! May you have a lovely Christmas and a very happy and peaceful New Year!

17. Merry Christmas!
    And thank you for all your photos and articles.

18. Laray M. Kelly says:

I know the stress of moving and I also know the release it gives. I hope your move is stress free. I enjoy your blog, as I also enjoy trees. Happy Christmas to you and your family.

19. Hope your holiday season was full of warmth and cheer, Jo! Happy 2018!

1. […] In her latest Blog Jo mentioned that the book she has devoted so much time to was complete and now published ( […]