Latest posts

LATEST FEATURES

Sycamore – colonist or custodian?  – the latest in my series on British trees

12 Trees in Autumn – a fun post, helping to distinguish some of our best-loved species

After a wet summer I’m hoping for some crisp clear weather in which to enjoy the autumn colour.  Here are three of my favourite woodlands for an autumn walk.

Rosebay willowherb:  lighting up roadside verges and waste land with tall spikes of vivid pink

New photography feature:  Windows in Culross Palace

Standing stone near Loch Ederline, Argyll

Blackness Castle:  blunt and forbidding, this 15th century stronghold on the Firth of Forth was once a force to be reckoned with.

The beautiful Lerags Cross near Loch Feochan, and nearby Kilbride Kirk, last resting place of many MacDougall chiefs.

Comments

1. MindMindful says:

Greetings!

Early in February, I ‘awarded’ you the Versatile Blogger Award, for your photo essays that give such a sense of ‘place’. I guess I expected you to be notified by a pingback. Anyway, go to my blog to capture the badge (or let me know if you need help with that:)

Be well!

2. MindMindful says:

And, one more thing: As a “condition” of the award, you are to reveal 7 things about yourself, & give the award to 15 other bloggers. Have fun & be well!!

• Thank you very much for this, and for your previous comment. I’m sorry but I didn’t receive any pingbacks or notifications! So a belated thank you for the nomination, and I’m so glad that you enjoy The Hazel Tree so much.

• MindMindful says:

One of the reason I like your blog so much is that I used to live in Wales, for 2 years, when I was stationed there w/ the U.S. Navy. SUCH a gorgeous place! Whenever it’s a bit drizzly here, & I see a large stone in someone’s garden or yard, I am instantly transported right back:)

• That’s interesting! I’ve got plenty of material for more Welsh-themed articles, so stay tuned!

• MindMindful says:

Will do:)

3. I have been up and around Dunvegan when I was heading out Neist Point Lighthouse and wasnt that impressed, I tried to get a shot across the bay but there was lambing ongoing so it was out the question – but all in all the Castle seemed a little out of sorts with the landscape.

4. PGuthrie says:

Thank you for your information about the bluebell. Have always loved them. My grandmother planted them around my grandfather’s tombstone many, many years ago, and they still bloom.

• You are very welcome! I love bluebells too, and that is a lovely idea to plant them around a grave. There is something ethereal about bluebells, a special kind of magic.

5. Walter Marshall Macdougall says:

My sincerest thanks for the Hazel Tree with its grand pictures and close to heart annotations. I feel I was walking with you and sharing in your warm and thoughtful interactions. Thanks!. Walter Marshall Macdougall

• That is such a kind comment, Walter, and thank you! That is exactly how I always hope my writing will be enjoyed. It’s a pleasure to share these lovely places and my experiences of them. Thank you again for letting me know! PS: I believe you may be the author of ‘Journeying in Macdougall Country’ – please correct me if I’m wrong – and I would like to thank you too, for your beautiful writing, which I very much enjoy.